Relocation is a complicated exercise in coordination. We get local Richmond home sellers calling us or submitting their house info on this website every week saying “I’m relocating and need to sell my house in Richmond“. Luckily for them, we’re able to help many of those sellers (because we’re actively buying houses in Richmond VA right now!).
There’s a lot of details that go into why you need to move and when, and it’s extremely stressful. That move may come out of necessity for a job, a sick relative, or a variety of reasons.
So how can you make your move less stressful?
Don’t Agonize – Organize.
You definitely want to get things taken care of up front. Avoid paying for a vacant house for two years. That gets expensive and it doesn’t have to be that way.
Although the market is relatively stable right now in Richmond, things can change in the blink of an eye. We’ve heard some serious horror stories over the past couple of decades. Waiting out the market can be a gamble, and unless you’re super rich, it’s probably not a good idea.
So how do you make the right choices when you’re relocating and need to sell your Richmond VA house fast?
I’m Relocating And Need To Sell My House Fast In Richmond… Your Options And Steps
Before relocating, we recommend doing the following:
- Find out your home’s value: You can approach this in one of two ways. If you would prefer to sell with an agent, you may contact them and they’ll begin the listing process. Or, feel free to contact us and we can give you a no-cost appraisal in as little as a few days. Once you know how much the house can sell for, and how quickly it will sell, you have a baseline for whether or not you’d like to keep or sell the house.
- Decide your timeline: Keep in mind your timeline for relocating at all times. This is crucial. I’ve seen professionals who moved out of state for a job who had their house on the market for over a year before selling it for a much, much lower price than they had anticipated. You want to decide how fast you need to sell your house… and how long you’re willing to keep making 2 mortgage payments, insurance payments, etc.
- Find a solid real estate agent BEFORE you start packing boxes: It’s important to get things going quickly so you don’t waste any time later on. Every month that you wait or every month that it takes to sell the house… costs you money, and those interest and mortgage payments add up quite a bit over time. Or if you don’t want to use a real estate agent to sell… we are a reputable local house buyer and we’d love to make you a fast-fair all cash offer. Just fill out the form through this link to get started >>
- Calculate the value of selling your house fast vs. “waiting it out” for a dream price: We all want to sell our houses for as much as possible. But one thing many people forget to do is come up with the $ amount of how much it costs you to hold onto this house. Keep in mind that there are a lot more costs than a home mortgage (which if you’re still within the first 10 years of the mortgage, the majority of your payment interest and not hardly going to principal at all). Your costs will also include insurance, taxes, maintenance, lawn care, etc. Let’s say you want to sell your house for $200,000… and your mortgage payment is $1,200/mo, taxes $200/mo, $100/mo for insurance, and $100/mo for maintenance (lawn maintenance, repairs while you’re gone, etc.).Those expenses add up to $1,600/mo in “non equity building” expenses.If it takes you 7 months to sell that house through a real estate agent for that $200,000… it cost you $11,200 in DIRECT “holding costs” + you had to pay $12,000 in real estate agent fees (assuming 3% for the buyers agent and 3% for the sellers agent). This totals a whopping $23,200 in lost money. That doesn’t even account for the value of your time, your stress in thinking about that property sitting on the market, the opportunity cost of what you could have been doing with that extra money during those 7 months, etc. The real cost to you in the end of all this is likely over $30,000. But, what if you were to sell your house next week and avoid all of that? Even if you sold your home at a below-retail price (let’s say… $175,000)… you still come out way ahead selling the house NOW at a discount to a home buyer such as our company vs. 7 months later at full price (and paying all those holding costs and real estate agent fees). Starts to make a bit more sense now!
- Take action!: Whatever you decide… decide and take action. If you prefer to go the real estate route, go for it! Find a reputable local Richmond VA agent. If you would prefer not waiting and having to pay real estate commissions, and close more quickly, then a viable option may be to sell your house to us 🙂
If you’ve got a lot of time on your side and a really great property, you might want to test the market by offering it out at a high price. After all, there’s no harm in trying as long as you’ve got the time. There’s a small chance someone might just fall in love and be willing to overpay. Maybe they like that kitchen tile.
In reality, however, many properties are just about average when compared to the rest of properties available on the market. They tend to be like the other houses around them, in the same way that people who live near each other tend to have a lot in common too. They may have some things that need to be fixed up, replaced, etc. So unless your property is truly exceptional, as in magazine-quality extra-special, you probably won’t capture the most money in the market by pricing at the highest point.
Another potential way to win would be to put your property up as a rental. You have to maintain control of the process, however, which can confuse even seasoned real estate brokers.
In certain situations, we may partner with property owners to help secure lease option agreements where highly qualified purchasers rent the property for an agreed time before buying. Or, we can negotiate owner financing, which would allow you to get checks every month for your property, rather than one lump sum.
In other cases, we may help renegotiate a loan, help make monthly payments or conduct a short sale with a bank.
Our job is to help people solve complicated problems.
With our help, creative solutions can bridge the gap to get you where you need to be.
Who Is D&F Home Buyers And How Can We Help You If You’re Relocating And Need To Sell In Richmond?
Simply put, we’re investors. We support our families and beautify neighborhoods by buying houses from Richmond home owners who need to sell fast for one reason or another.
We work with several types of sellers, including those who…
- Need to sell fast (we can close in as little as 7 days if you need us to)
- Don’t want to hassle of using an agent
- Don’t want to pay real estate agent fees or commissions
- Can’t sell their house for one reason or another (we buy houses in as-is condition)
- … or a variety of other reasons
We’re passionate people, and we believe in the Richmond community. We support local homeowners, businesses and individuals day-in and day-out.
We’re honest and straightforward.
We’ll quote you a fair price, and we can close fast with cash.
If you’re prepared to wait and can hire professionals to help, you can manage the sale of your property from a distance. In certain circumstances that risk can pay off.
We’re happy to help you find answers to your toughest questions about your Richmond real estate, so please feel free to call us at (804) 376-9705 and chat with us anytime.